Skip to content


January 23, 2009

Things are smoking around here at the Wishful Thinking household … literally.  On Monday, as I was finishing up at Rasberry Lemon Shortbread Tart, the oven caught on fire. I was busy readying the house for my playgroup, and I didn’t notice the flames until I saw the smoke pouring out of the oven vent. The good news is that the smoke detector in my living room works great! (I’ve been meaning to test it for several months now.) The bad news is … well, there was no bad news. The tart was un-singed. I grabbed my trusty box of baking soda and put out the fire. No harm no foul.

But it was the first time in my life behind a stove that I’ve experienced a cooking fire. (We’re not going to count that time a few weeks ago when I caught my arm on fire. That was just weird.)

I figured one fire per every six years or so was not such a bad rate. But apparently my luck is turning.

This afternoon I was upstairs actually putting away folded laundry – again, another first for me. Suddenly, the air began to smell a little – burnt, like maybe something was on fire. A burning, wintry, evergreen scent.

Like the candle in the downstairs bathroom.

I dashed down the stairs to find four-inch flames shooting out of my trusty Glade candle.

My bathroom is attached to my kitchen, so I often keep a glass jar candle burning in there to prevent certain odors from leaking into the food preparation area, if you know what I mean. I’ve been doing this for years, and have never had anything like this happen before. The glass around the candle was shattered, pools of wax spilling onto the top of the toilet. The entire surface of the wax appeared to be on fire. I tried to blow it out, but the flames just laughed at me. I sprinkled a bit of baking soda on the mess and poof, no more fire.

After the candle cooled down a little, I discovered the remains of an entire matchbook floating in the wax. It seems that one or the other of my children (I’m guessing Seth) decided to try a little homemade pyrotechnic display. Frightening.

I am so thankful that no one was hurt, and that my house didn’t burn down. Also, so thankful for baking soda. It’s a miracle substance.

3 Comments leave one →
  1. Samantha permalink
    January 23, 2009 11:53 pm

    Wow! You had quite an. . .exciting (?) day! I’m glad that no one was hurt and that your beautiful home didn’t burn down. Seth is quite the little stinker! I had an exciting 30 seconds the other night. I got up to turn up the volume on the tv because I couldn’t find the remote, and I released such a strong electric shock that I turned off the cable box, NOT the tv. Kind of freaky. Perhaps I’m part Storm? Ha! Glad nothing more happened. BTW, how was the tart?

  2. January 24, 2009 2:23 pm

    Yikes! I am so glad your nose was on duty and paying attention or things may have been much worse.

    Good to know about the baking soda working so well.

  3. February 3, 2009 9:11 pm

    ok, are kidding me? You burnt the tart I burnt the cookies – first you are a better host than I cuz their would not be a tart in my oven but I am laughing at your misfortune and I am sorry for that.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: